- Kaeden left for America. He did great! Jari and I spent the morning watching his plane prepare to leave and when I waved my very last goodbye as the plane flew out of sight into the great big world, one little tear trickled down my cheek before my little guy tugged on my hand asking "What are we gonna do now, mama?"
- We booked our summer vacation. It took us a lot longer than usual to get it all organized this year, but I am thrilled with the result. We're heading to 2 different areas of Austria over the course of 10 days, where we'll also have the opportunity to visit Italy and Slovenia. And that's not all, but then we're going to the Czech Republic for another week. I was feeling very down about not going to America, but that's left me now. I'm glad Kaeden is there and can represent our family, passing out hugs and kisses for all. And I get to go enjoy the cool of the Alps. And the cost will be what it would have been to fly just one of us to America.
- The weather: HOT! It hs been above 30 degrees (90's) this week with between 80-100% humidity. Doing anything productive results in streams of sweat dripping off you. I bought a small swimming pool which Jari and I have been enjoying, as well as keeping the house totally closed up during the day...but nights have been difficult sleeping as it just doesn't cool off.
- We went to a Roman Festival in Germany last weekend. It was really cool, with role-playing and costumes and a medieval camp set up. And it was huge. Just as the main event was starting a storm came thundering in. Literally. Thunder and lightning crashing all around as rain strted pouring down. And there was noplace to go to escape it. We were all soaked through from head to foot. As we started towards our car leaving the festival behind, we heard sirens. We later found out that lightning had hit close and two people died, 13 were injured right where we had minutes before been standing. We had a guardian angel watching over us. After we left, we headed to a store where we all got new clothes since we were all completely soaked. It turned out to be a very fun afternoon as a family, even as we mourned the losses of lives during the festival activities.
- Jari and I are getting prepared for the 4th of July. Yesterday we made him a t-shirt to wear, and he used so much paint I'm not sure it will be dry by Saturday. Though he painted it in himself, he asked me to help him write some words on it. Specifically, America, Jari, Kaeden, Papa, and Tera. When I did this he was mad. I wrote Papa and Tera (as he requested), yet it was supposed to say either Papa and Mama, or Tera and Erwin. Papa and Tera just isn't okay. And neither is Mama and Erwin. Today we're going to make something patriotic for a small-scale BBQ we're having with the family. Keeping it simple this year.
- Erwin came home last night and informed me he got a ticket. For what? Not wearing his seatbelt. And want to guess how much we have to pay? NINETY euro. 90 euro. Oh My GAWD! granted, it's the law to have it on and his own fault, and seriously he wears it 99% of the time, but he got caught. Too bad we have to pay that instead of going out to dinner during vacation. And to an amusement park. And...well, you get the idea. I think that 90 euro is really bordering on insanity for something like a seatbelt violation.
- Jari and I went to an interesting museum on Tuesday. I thought he'd be bored after 10 minutes once we walked in, but we were there for 3 hours and he was just considering wanting to leave. It was all about water and the Maas and Rijn rivers, and boats and fishing. They had a nature pond where the kids could fish and he collected all kinds of bugs and snails and plants and frogs. But, he wouldn't touch any of it. So mama got to do the dirty work. Then we hit Ikea for hot dogs for dinner. A perfect afternoon with my lil guy.
- Yesterday while JAri played with a friend for a few hours, I got busy cleaning out our shed. Ewww. It was much needed and I think I burned about a thousand calories in the heat. I'm so glad that lil job is complete. My next task? I'm going to brave Kaeden's room and empty it while he is away. That may be a job with extra supplies needed, such as masks and gloves. That is one messy boy I am raising. I can't believe how dirty his room can get with nearly nothing in it. But I am looking forward to getting the job done and having him return to a little piece of relaxation.
- My best friend wrote a post on her blog http://tamlynblogs.blogspot.com/2009/06/love.html I think it was in reference to me, and my feelings about her new relationship. I love my friend dearly, and I just want her to know that I totally support her in her quest for happiness. I totally support her in her quest for a life filled with love. BUT, I also support her in her need to go on a journey of self-discovery and self-fulfillment. I know that love can happen quickly, but I also think you need to take time to allow the relationship a chance to grow. You need to learn about each other and that can't happen in the course of just weeks. It takes time. And when she announced she was getting married, I was not even slightly surprised. Because I know my friend, adn I am thrilled that she has found someone she can count on, turn to, and who loves her. I want to wish her a BIG Congratulations, because yesterday when she gave me the news, I didn't even tell her Congratulations. Instead I said nothing and she asked me if I was mad. NO. I am not mad...but I do hope that you make sure to take time, my girlie, take time to be sure instead of jumping off the diving board head first into a shallow pool. I sincerely wish you and Richard the best. I sincerely believe you feel love. And I sincerely hope it's the happy-ever-after kind. Congratulations, Tammy and Richard!
So, that's it for now. My lil guy and I are going to head to the market this morning. We've got things to go and places to see and life to experience. And first I need to find him some pants..."Not short ones that show my knees, mama, but short ones that go to here (pointing to his shin), cuz I don't like those short ones that go to here (pointing above his knee)." Capris. He wants some capris. :-)