6.23.2009

Freedom of Boys

My boys,

The wind blowing your hair as the trees swayed in every direction. Your faces alight with happiness in being out in the great outdoors, cheeks red from exerting yourselves in play. Your voices not quiet chatter, but deafening booms of explosive laughter as you played together, the sunshine in the background as darkening skies started crawling in. The playground empty other than your footprints in the sand, making 'smoke' as you ran, and ran, and ran. The grass on the fields battered as the ball flew left and right under your feet, the muscles in your legs tawt as you tried to keep up with its swoosh. The skateboard ramps roaring as you clomped across, filled with magic in the last dive to reach the top.The air alive, alive with your laughter, alive with your energy, alive with your freedom.
Freedom, freedom to be kids, freedom to run, and laugh, and play, and be boys. Hopping, skipping, jumping, running, from one thing to the next, no harmony, no focus, no rules, just freedom. And it showed, in the air surrounding you both, happiness. In your voices, excitement. In your smiles, pride. In your bodies, energy.










And in all my life, I will never forget the magic of our time together on the playground, a time of uninterrupted joy, nothing holding us back, allowing ourselves to scream and run and do whatever it was we wanted to do. Thank you for sharing with me a little piece of happiness. Thank you for showing me what love is.

Love, Mama

2 comments:

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

This is so lovely, Tera. You really captured the essence of how it is to have two boys at play! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful afternoon.

Jade said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are awesome Tera. The love and devotion you have for your boys is heart lifting.

I wish we were closer so that we could share a cup of coffee over the stories you have to share..Maybe one day..eh?

Hugs to you my friend.

PS I wish I was with the boys as the skateboarding park!!! I would have dropped my board down and played with them!