5.28.2009

Knikkers

Knikkers=marbles pronounced Kuh-nick-kurs
Kikkers=Frogs pronounced Kick-kurs

Today after school Jari and I were playing Monopoly. When he jumped on my lap I felt something bulging in his pocket. I asked him if he had rocks in his pocket. "Nope, mama, guess what I have," he answered.

"Knikkers!" I replied. And I was right!

We started talking about knikkers and how he plays at school, and how he won these two in his pocket from his friend. We played a couple times with his new prizes when he asked if we could go to the store and get some more tomorrow. "Jakub says we can buy a big sack with 100 knikkers for just 3 euro at Blokker."

"Jari, we can buy them someplace else even cheaper," I answered. "But we have so many kikkers (frogs) in the house we don't know what to do with them all."

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" my son couldn't stop giggling. "Yeah, mama, our house is full of kikkers (frogs)! But we can still go to Blokker and buy some more knikkers (marbles)."

Sometimes this Dutch language stuff is just too much to handle.

1 comment:

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Ah, the love of words! I used to be fluent in French many years ago, but I've lost most of it unfortunately. I love comparing words - there are definitely some funny ones out there!