7.08.2006

A Few Notes About VACATION

Well, we are in America. It never fails to make me swell with excitement, coming back to my home, seeing people that I love, viewing Neon lights and open stores 24 hours/day...okay, not that I have been out at 4 am, but last night at 1:30 it was still quite "hopping". I went to see the premiere of Pirates of the Carribbean 2 with my friend Lisa. She is such a beautiful young lady. She loves Johnny Depp. And she wanted to share her love with me. I felt honored in a strong way. This beautiful "girl" whom I love so deeply, yet share very little of her life, but helped to raise from the time she was a newborn. I hope that I always remain a part of her life.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Robert Moses beach. From sea to shining sea...wow, it was magnificent. Perfect weather, not too crowded, waves just the right size for chasing you down. We collected some great shells and rocks, played in the sand and surf and enjoyed being with my family...yes, when I left their home after living with them for 2 1/2 years they gave me a plaque that said "Families Are Forever"...it still hangs in my home and reminds me the importance of family, whatever form they come in. They are a terrific family and I feel honored that I get to share in their life all these years later.

Yesterday their foreign exchange student, Jazmin, from Argentina went home. As tears flowed from her face at the prospect of saying goodbye to this place and home she has come to love, tears threatened to fall from my eyes as well...the world is such a big place and saying goodbye is NEVER easy. After her car was out of sight Kaeden said "I have some water in my eyes." What a concept, my son feels it too.

I spent a couple hours with Ted just talking and really enjoyed the time the two of us had. What a great man at 20 years old. It is very interesting seeing him as a partner now that he has a steady girlfriend. I keep resorting back to Teddy, his child name, and do it with so much love in my heart...he may or may not know how fondly I call him that. I hope he does. We watched the National Hot Dog Eating contest...I seriously had to turn my head to keep from gagging. 53 3/4 hotdogs in 12 m inutes. Yuck! I'd never want to see another one.

What else have we done since being in the US? Shopping...Kaeden picked out a present for everyone in his loving and giving way, helping to shrink his large US dollar accumulation. Went to the Crab Meadow Beach and played on the Long Island Sound. Went to see Superman Returns. Ate NY bagels. Ate NY pizza. Ate turkey dinner. Painted rocks we collected. Watched soccer. Watched Harry Potter. Played soccer. Played Monopoly. Played checkers. Woke up at the crack of dawn each morning (til today at 7, thank God!). Ate LTU airline food...yuck...not a good airline food source...even Kaeden wouldn't eat the sandwich, and he eats anything!

Finally, I want to tlak about Jari and his language skills. OH MY GOSH! The child speaks English. I mean, he speaks it at a strong level, not just one or two words. He keeps amazing me with things he says that I would never have guessed he even knew. I am so proud. I feel so much relief that I am doing my job as an American mama. I just really can't believe it. Everyone here keeps bursting out in laughter when he talks cuz it's so darn cute how far he has come in 3 days time. And his accent is just as cute as him. Anyway, he is bilingual...he just hides it well! :-)

Okay, we're heading for NYC to have lunch and see Tarzan on Broadway today. Should be another fun day in the life. I'm just happy to be "home" even though I already miss my husband...

2 comments:

MsYennis said...

Tara, I'm SOOO happy to hear from you! I'm glad that you're having a GREAT time, and must admit that I'm a bit envious! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

Sounds you guys are having a good time, enjoy! xoxo