7.11.2006

Wisconsin

We made it to WI...my birthplace and first ever home. We've been staying with my Uncle John, Aunt Judie, and my cousins Jaclynn and Zach. It's so great to spend time with them and get to know them all again. Last night we had a BBQ and Judie's mom came to dinner. She is originally Dutch...her grandparents immigarted to America...and was so interested in everything we could tell her and teach her about Holland. It was really fun and the kids entertained her with their Dutch language skills. She is such a sweet lady.

Jari asked to send Papa a card today. His first sentence said "Sweet Papa, I am sad because I don't get to see you." I got tears in my eyes. Am I doing right by keeping them apart for such a long period of time? Will it strengthen the bond between all of us after we reunite again? I can only hope that this is so.

We will be heading to visit with my grandparents this afternoon. Knowing that they are getting old and I may not have them around a lot longer, I am very happy to have this time with them. I want my children to know their great-grandparents. This is a luxury that many children never get to have and I feel blessed that mine have that extra bit of love in their lives. I can't wait to hear all the stories that I hold forever deep in my heart, times of the past and what has created this family I call mine. I may not care as much for the history of the world, but tell me the history of my family anytime and I will put on a listening ear. (This is a bit false as I am much more interested in all history since moving to Europe and having a husband so entirely interested in it...yet as often as I am told the stories, they seem to be immediately deleted from my mind...darn!)

We miss you, Papa...all of us. Can't wait til you are here with us and we can create our own family stories from a vacation in America to pass on to our children's children. Life, what a wonderful thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to be home! Next time I'll come with you to your birthplace.

xoxo Papa