1.24.2008

Thankful Thursday


Julie at Another Chance Ranch is again hosting Thankful Thursday. So, what is it this week I am thankful for?


This week, my friend Sharon has the opportunity to see her dad. He is here visiting from Australia, traveling to take in a number of bird shows. Her dad has written books on birds and has made it his hobby in life. But, it has been more than 7 years since Sharon has seen her dad. And 7 years since she has even spoken to him. Her move to Europe caused a family riff, and when she was unable to return for her grandmother's funeral just a month after her arrival in Holland, her dad used that as his excuse to break all contact with her. They haven't spoken since.


A month ago, Sharon got an email from her dad. He was coming to Europe and would like to meet up. This week, she finally called her dad and made arrangements to meet up with him for drinks and a visit to the bird show with him. After 7 years, the flood gates are opening. Yes, those flood gates of emotion: excitement, fear, anger, sadness, happiness...you name it, the feeling is there. I have been trying to be supportive of my friend in this journey she is taking. She is more than willing to make a clean slate with her dad, get their relationship back on track. And he must be ready as well, to have taken the chance to let her know he is coming.


So, anyway, for today, I am thankful that they have this opportunity to make amends, make a fresh start, and get back on the right path in their relationship. Family is so very important. And this afternoon I will be accompanying her to meet up with her dad at the bird show. I will be there to support my friend. So, I am thankful for friendships as well. And for today, when I see them embrace in a hug releasing the pain of these past 7 years, that's going to be a real moment to be thankful for.

9 comments:

ChrisB said...

I do hope everything goes well and your friend has a wonderful reunion with her father. I'm sure she is thankful for your support!

Jeanette said...

It's good that your friend and her father have started to put their differences behind them. SO many times it becomes too late and the regret lasts forever. Nice post. You are a good friend.

Lois said...

What an emotional time that will be. I am thankful she has a friend like you to be there for her.

Hugs
Lois

Jen said...

It is very nice of you to be there supporting your friend!

Jen said...

Don't forget about the lemon spaghetti too. That's REALLY good. :D

Sandy said...

I hope that it is everything that your friend needs it to be! How lucky she is to have you with her.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful support you are for your friend. I hope this reunion is a happy one and the first of many for the two of them.

Alison said...

What a wonderful thing to be thankful for!! You are a wonderful friend also!! We have a family riff also and I hate..I am trying to rebuild the wall brick by brick!!

Cynthia said...

How wonderful. I hope the meeting goes as your friend has planned!!