6.11.2006

Father's Day



Today is Father's Day in Belgium. Papa had a sleep in and we surprised him with a yummy breakfast and gifts hidden all over the garden. His sons did a great job reading and reciting their poems and he received their handmade school treasures with many smiles. I think he fared quite well. But maybe the biggest gift for this Nederlandse Papa is the upcoming soccer game this afternoon...it is Nederland's first game in the World Championships and I can assure you the blood is pumping throughout our house...as is the orange in the form of flags, banners, lamps, t-shirts and painted faces. I even made an orange cheesecake turned into a soccer ball as a special surprise for Papa. We are READY! I can't tell you how high the excitement is here today. It is a passion flowing through our veins, a love of our country and our sport, a tradition passed down to our children. I say we, becuase I, too, am totally psyched about this tournament. I couldn't wait for the first game on Friday, but today the hours are just barely ticking by as we wait for 3pm to arrive. It's almost here!!! As Erwin hangs the last lamp and I repaint the boys faces with soccer balls and Nederlandse vlaggen, all I can hear repeating itself in my head is HUP HOLLAND HUP!!! I sure hope they win. They are in a tough bracket, but with our support, surely they will take the lead. And what a super gift for Papa to cheer about on this Father's Day!!! Happy Father's Day Papa...we already know the best man is the winner...

UPDATE: 5pm: GEWONNEN!!!!! We Won! 0-1 against Serbia...we're all feeling pretty happy with the Orange!

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

Yayyyyyyy!!!!! We had a GREAT day yesterday watching the game, and we're looking forward to the USA-CZE game tonight. Strange but.... Ummm.... I think I have world cup fever!! I got some photos in my email box today of my brother's house. He actually flew the dutch flag yesterday in celebration of their victory!