6.16.2006

No diversity


I was just looking again at Jari's school picture and realize we live in a society with zero racial diversity. In his school I believe that there are 2 families with a race other than caucasian. There is a mother and little girl new to the school who are black and another family with a mother from the Antilles with a bit darker skin. We have no muslims, no Native Americans, no asians...no other races than middle-class white...and very little diversity. As I looked at the picture, I was astounded at what a white world my children are being brought up in. Okay, they are all cute kids and many of them bring smiles to my face on a daily basis...but how can I teach my children about the diverse world with such a tiny viewpoint living in our white, farming community? I could use some help on this front....

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

Teaching children diversity is a good thing to do of course, but when living in a place without much diversity I think that it's more important to teach them to have an open mind and to be non-judgemental. That way, when they are grown or when they are put into situations with more diversity they can look at humanity as just that and not skin color, religion, etc.