6.06.2006

Speed





What is it about speed that gives me such a rush? Knowing that it gives me such a rush, why can't I push myself to go faster, have more energy, get more accomplished, live life filled with that adrenaline pulsing through my body...speed, the sound of speed, the thrill of speed, the exhaustion that comes when all is still and the pumping blood begins to slow...

This weekend we went to the races. Race cars with motors so loud you hear the crashing with each beat of your heart. It fills you with this total free and energetic keenness and with the pumping of your blood you reach out for that euphoria, giving into the temptation of zooming velocity. These tiny little one-man cars with an affinity for an out-of-control existence. So totally controlled in an uncontrollable manner, sometimes slipping a little, yet pulling together in the split of an instance, back on track and into the spirit of the race. It's a bit like life in breakneck speed. The energy pulls you in, carries you through the start and then with each round that tense anticipation of the straight run and then those risky curves thrown in to keep you sharp. It's really amazing. I love speed. It's an arousing stimulation that I could do with more of in my life.

I got a speeding ticket awhile back. But I wasn't going fast enough to give me that breath-altering thrill...darn, if I was going to get a fine I should have made it worthwhile...let that breeze cut into my face, the shaking of the steering wheel rouse my rebellious spirit, screaming whooshes of air passing through my ears...maybe it's time to head back to the German highways, let myself go, and become a racer with a real trophy and champagne (that would be my lifted spirit) rather than a 50 euro hole in my pocket.

No comments: