9.11.2006

Aquarium Treats

First Off, let me start by saying, things aren't always what they seem. This weekend we got our fish back from the "babysitter"(aka oma and opa). They had been totally cleaned, which was a treat, but the filter had been forgotten...not a big deal, but it was quite plugged up with fish slime. Well, the kids were excited to have our fish back and Kaeden immediately asked if he could give them a fish treat...something he found for them in America...a little jar with shell and fish shaped treats, called aquari-yums! He couldn't wait to let them try it out. Well, the past two days the water has been getting cloudier and cloudier, little algae rapidly growing on the sides...I decided to clean it this morning when I got up, start fresh and see if it'd help. To my horror, Jari's fish was dead. I felt a sinking feeling and couldn't get the tank cleaned out fast enough...and Jari and I buried his fish in the yard, alittle hole under the Christmas tree, a little thank you for being our friend, and then a prayer to Jesus to take care of Dory aka Shark in heaven. As we filled the whole, Jari saw a leaf,a dead one, that was made of sharp pointed "bones". He associated the leaf with his fishes bones for which I had no words...unbelievable how similar the leaf looked to a fossilized fish. When I got back in the house, I checked everything thoroughly again, the aquarium fresh with water and clear. I then went on to look at the aquarium treats...in tiny print below the heading AQUARI-YUMS it states "Brand Cat Treats". I belted out in a horrified laughter...did I let my fish be fed cat treats? As I looked closer at the jar I noticed a cat in scuba gear chasing after the fish, with a huge grin on his face...OH MY GOD, what did I do? In any case, Dory is gone to heaven, and I swear our fish will no longer be treated to any little surprises...as many times as I looked at the fish treat jar, I never concluded that it wasn't for the fish...so, just a word of caution, things aren't always what they seem....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

may God have mercy on his soul

MsYennis said...

Oh.... I don't know if I should laugh or cry about this one.

RIP Dory aka Shark

Anonymous said...

oh my... that poor fish! I know 3 cats that would love those aquari YUMS! hehe. What a sweet story despite the tragedy. :)