9.06.2006

Helper Mama

Today I got to be a helper with Jari's class. It made me feel so good, as if I have a purpose in this world. I got on the bus with the kids and headed to swimming lessons, helping them undress and dry off, dress again and head back to school. Something simple, yet more important than anyone can imagine. I joked with the kids, they took to me like I was meant to be a part, and I relished in being with children, in a class environment, my dream job and one that I miss tremendously. I wanted that class to be mine...but they are not. I am just the helper...as were another 8 moms (who all waited at the swimming pool and didn't take the bus as I did)...but I am still important. If nothing else, it gave me a task today that helped fulfill that need in myself to have something important to do. And what's more important than taking part in a child's life, helping them be successful, letting them know that I care...especially when one of those children is my own. I hope that being a class helper fulfills not only that need in me, but gives my child and his friends the feeling that they are loved...just as doing it brought my heart an extra beat of satisfaction.

No comments: