9.21.2006

Great DAY OUT!

Today I got Kaeden off to school and then took Jari to school as well for his first ever all-day. I made him a lunch and talked him into staying over so that I could have a day out with girlfriends. It was just what I needed to get out of my funk!

My girlfriend Sharon came to pick me up and we headed to Valkenswaard to meet another friend and her baby. It was one of those last minute kinda deals and I was really nervous about leaving Jari all day, but Erwin assured me he'd be fine...he was. We had coffee and lunch in a little cafe and I had a chacne to admire Harry, my friend Amanda's darling one-year-old...what a perfect little guy, sitting so still and quiet while we visited. I do not remember EVER a time my kids have been that quiet in a cafe!!! Then again, we don't go to cafe's much to give them the opportunity to learn...usually if we do go, there's some kind of playground involved. Anyway, I was impressed with that little guys sweet smile and remembered quickly how speedy their little legs are as he took off running from Amanda when we were leaving...he's just so happy and adorable. Just having the chance to see him again after all these months was a true treat...and add that to spending time out with the girls, well, it was just a really super day.

We spent a couple hours wandering through teh weekly market, seeing stall after stall of stuff...I didn't bring home anything but food, but what more do I need? It was the company and satisfaction of friendship that did the trick for me today. Oh, and those couple little whipped cream eclairs they serve with the coffee, and the couple shots of yummy licquor with a spritz of cream on top...I forget all the lovely things about coffee out in the Netherlands. Coffee is quite a deal here, and not the refill after refill you receive in the US. There are tiny cups of strong brew with those little extras that make it a complete and satisfying experience...add to that a few friends and a couple hours time and it's just a lovely day out. It was a worthwhile trip.

Thanks for the day mates, for reminding me I am alive and not a bear hibernating my life away in the cubbyhole of my house. You really made my day! And when I got home to pick Jari up and he gave me his great big hug and told me eating lunch at school was fun, I knew we'd survived one more milestone on the way to growing up...it's a bit bittersweet...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tera it was great to see you again after so long! I always love to hear about Hollywood, aka America! Thankyou for writing about Harry so sweetly, you made my day by saying that :) It surprised me that he was so quiet and well behaved, I wonder how long he will stay that way? hehe. You are right about the Dutch and their coffee, it is quite a unique experience over here, not to be rushed but enjoyed and it tastes even better with friendship thrown in! I am glad Jari had fun having lunch at school for the first time, and that you also enjoyed your girls day out. I can't wait to see the results of Sharon's hair when you put the dye in! :) Harry absolutely loved the little broom I baought him, he has been cleaning non stop since we got home and he even chases the bunnies with it and puts them back in their cage, just like mummy does! LOL. Thankyou for coming along today I always enjoy your company, you have a beautiful aura! hehe HUGS Amanda xox

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.