9.24.2006

Mothers

I was reading the blog of a friend of mine this morning and heard yet again a story of a mother damaging her child. I hear this story time and time again, and I am pained that mothers can actually do this to their children. I just can't understand.

I am a lucky person. My mom is my best friend. She is someone I can talk to about anything, share everything with, and know I will never be judged. She gives me so much in life, and has from the day of my birth, that I can't even begin to set her on a high enough pedestal. She is the only person in the world I don't get bored talking to (I mean, if I talk to other people every day for an hour, I get to feeling a bit suffocated)...we can talk for hours on end and never run out of things to laugh about. The only thing negative I can say about my mom is that I don't get to see her enough.

I am a lucky person. My mother-in-law is someone I know cares about me. We have become good friends and I care very deeply about her. In the beginning of our relationship, there was a language barrier that kept us from truly clicking, but the more Dutch that I learned, the closer we grew. This year Oma told me that she loves me as if I were her own child...as I know how much she loves her children, I feel pretty special. I know that if I need to talk, she is always open and will be very honest with her opinion. I used to think she "hated" me as she told me exactly how she felt...it wasn't something I was used to...but now I know this is her manner of clearing the air and leaving no bad feelings behind. She is my friend, and someone in my book of life very high on my list of treasured people.

I could go on about my dad and father-in-law and tell you about all my parents, but I won't. They are as much admired by me as my mothers. These bonds I have with these special people in my life are ones that I truly could not live without. They give me guidance and love, support and honesty. Still. I just feel so grateful. My life is complete.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tera, you truly are a lucky girl. I don't understand how mothers can be cruel to their children either, all I know is I will never do that to my children. That cycle of cruelty stops with my mother... it won't be carried on through the generations. I love my son endlessly and I am going to make sure he knows that :) HUGS Amanda. xox