2.28.2008

Thankful Thursday


Julie at Another Chance Ranch came up with the idea for Thankful Thursday. Go see her blog for all the participants...look in the comments section of her previous post! I agreed to host this week, but she is going to look into making a button to remind us of Thankful Thursday instead. That may work as well. She's also got the lowdown on what it's like to be on jury duty. Interesting stuff!
So, this week, what do I have to be thankful for? Well, this may sound kind of strange, but I am thankful for Freecycle (www.freecycle.org). You advertise stuff you have to give away or stuff you need, and people respond, giving more life to your little treasures and sparing the landfill of even more garbage. It's a really terrific program and worth looking into...you sign up just for your hometown and then the free stuff starts coming to your door! And your junk starts leaving the house! Here is their Mission statement: "Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community."
Since I have been a member, I have received games for my kids, wall dividers for my parents store, brand new clothes, and just today my parents got an entire case of donuts from a truck that had been in an accident! Yep, even free doughnuts!!!
So, I thought, for Thankful Thursday, why not share the wealth of this wonderful program? Everybody loves getting something for nothing, and even better, saving our land of the harmful toxins of too much junk. So, I am thankful for Freecycle, even though I am out of the country and can't take full advantage of what it offers (the Belgium freecycle to which I belong has members mostly too far away for us to take advantage of the sharing). But if you are in the US, have a look. Do your part to help save our earth. One of my favorite sayings: The best investment on earth, is earth!
Check it out: www.freecycle.org (worldwide)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will certainly go check this out as soon as my broom lands somewhere in Texas. Thanks.

Sandy said...

That is a terrific site! I am a little too far out in the boonies to fully take advantage but it is still an awesome idea.

Thanks.

Alison said...

Hi Tera...love the song still, no tears today though!!! thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into it, great idea!!

C. said...

I HEART freecycle! I've cleaned my basement out and helped others in the process. AND I've managed to find some GREAT things I needed (but wasn't about to pay for, because well, I didn't have the money)....

What a concept. :)