My kiddos have a half day on Wednesday. That is the day I try to schedule all our appointments, make plans for fun, and make it to soccer and Judo practice. It's always a busy day, but one which I always fall into bed feeling accomplished and successful. I like Wednesdays.
Today, I had a doctor appointment for Kaeden. I needed him to fill in some papers for our insurance, as well as get prescriptions and have him check Kaeden's intestines again. But when I got to the office, I started out by asking him what his opinion of the hospital stay was, if he thought it would be helpful for Kaeden, etc. And after giving me his thoughts about why he thinks Kaeden needs help (his maturity is so far behind, but his body is not, he is slowly getting more and more aggressive, his medications are not working as well as they should be, he is having major difficulties in school...it goes on and on) he called the hospital in Genk to ask for an emergency intake for my son. This came as a huge surprise to me, as he is usually somewhat reserved with these issues. Truthfully, I don't think he has dealt with a lot of autism in his day...however, I have noticed him becoming more knowledgeable and more interested the longer he works with Kaeden. Score for future childrent hat need help with autism.
It was interesting hearing his side of the conversation with the hospital. Yes, this is a willing family. Yes, they do know about autism. Yes, they have been to a psychiatrist. Yes, they have tried medication. Yes, they keep a structured home (this may be debatable...). Yes, they are here asking for help, it is not being forced upon them. Yes, Kaeden is completely involved in the choice. Yes...yes, I sure sound like Kaeden's perfect mom on paper! The conversation made me feel strong. made me feel like I was doing this for all the right reasons. And gave me more faith in our dcotor, knowing he has faith in me and my mothering abilities.
Anyway, within the week we should hear back from the psychiatrist of the hospital children's unit...and he believes that Kaeden will be in the program the beginning of May. My feelings are so mixed up. I am thrilled that finally we may get some answers to our questions, that someone is finally listening and understanding that we need help. And I feel a miserable failure that we've gotten to this point. I feel hopeful that Kaeden will be helped, I feel sad that he'll be away from home. What a hodge-podge of emotion.
So, I'll be anxiously awaiting the return call so we can get this experience underway. But, I HOPE it doesn't happen before May 5...I could just imagine my mom and Kaeden's dissappointment if he's stashed away at the hospital while she's here to visit and see him partake in his Confirmation. But I don't think we have too much of a choice in when he is admitted considering this is an emergency call out for help from our pediatrician. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers...I need all I can to keep emotionally sane.