1.02.2007

Giving People

I talked to my mom a few days ago. She wished me a happy new year and then announced that my cousin is now living with them. This perked my interest...how'd that all come about?

Anyway, to make a long story short, my cousin has been going through a difficult few years. She has made many poor decisions which led her to a life of drugs (or so we assume) and ultimately led to her losing custody of her children...and she didn't seem to care as her lifestyle held no room for their innocence; she had nothing to give as a mother. As much as this is unbelievable to me, how a mother could abandon her children, and my respect for her as a person dwindled to nothing, I try not to judge people. I try, but I often fail. But, in situations such as this, my parents don't fail. I feel so grateful to report that once my cousin was homeless, just coming out of jail after a domestic dispute with her current partner, as well as possession of a controlled substance, they took her in, with no expectations, other than she do her best...whatever that means to her.

My parents have been in this situation before...an employee of theirs turned to drugs and they nursed her through a downfall and the coming days of rehabilitation. They provided her with the basic needs of love, acceptance, shelter, food, care...that's what they gave...and in return, they have found in her a true friend, someone that cares about them and cherishes them for giving her back her life. She was a success story, and is now married to a great guy, living in her own home with a good job and looking to have children in the coming year. They gave love, and in return that's the same that they got.

My initial reaction to my mom telling me of her new situation was "Oh my gosh, what happened? Are you up to this?" And immediately I started questioning whether they had made any rules, given her an ultimatum, told her to keep drugs out of their home. Mom calmly replied "No, we want her to feel like she has a place to come if she needs us. We're going to be here for her and see where it leads us." I felt a bit ashamed as my mind sent all these negative messages through to my heart...how could they be so giving to a person that has done so much wrong? How could they trust her? How could they give her the love she needs when she doesn't give it back? How would they react when she failed at becoming the person they hope that she will?

I've really thought long and hard the past few days about this situation...not only the situation, but also my reaction to it. The only conclusion I have come to is that I am so blessed to have such giving people as my parents. People that don't need to take in order to give. People that are accepting, people that choose to give in the most negative of situations. I have remembered many times I have seen my parents do this, not so much in this manner, but other little ways...bringing gas to a customer who ran out, staying open late so bus passengers wouldn't have to wait in the cold, giving a homeless man waiting for a bus a meal, helping someone out of a snowbank in which they are stuck. And to me, they give all that I need, all that I have the courage to ask for...but in return, all they expect is that I be the best that I can be. I have failed in many ways, yet they continue to give, proving their commitment to me, their trust that I will do what is right, their acceptance of the person I have become.

Thank you so much for being the people that you are, my dear mom and dad. Thank you for being giving, loving, and caring, not only to me, but all those that need it. Thank you for making this world a little bit better, just one person at a time. I wish you luck with your new endeavor, I hope that it becomes another success story. But if not, I've become convinced that the love you show will not go unnoticed, and in whatever simple way, you have given more than most. I am so happy to call you my parents. Thanks for believing in the gift of love. And making me see that giving is "doing the right thing".

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Tera you are indeed truly blessed to have such wonderful, loving, giving, caring parents. My heart is filled with warmth and respect when I read about what your parents have done for others in their life, what shining examples of people you have to look up to and to call mom and dad. Is it any wonder that you too are also just like they are... always there for anyone if they need you, a loving caring friend and a wonderful creative mother to your 2 gorgeous boys. I know how you feel about your parents, because I too in a way feel that about you. I am so proud to know you and I enjoy learning more and more about you. HUGS Amanda. :)