1.31.2007

Uncle Jack Update

Well, I got this message yesterday and it made me cry. How can you prepare for saying goodbye to someone you love, someone who has always been a part of your life, someone special and meaningful in your life? I can't even begin to explain how I'm feeling right now. It's just something close to suffocation.

Yesterday was a very, very difficult day. We (myself, Lisa, Jacque and Sami) saw the two oncologists and got grim news. The prognisis is not good. The real worry right now is no longer the esophageal cancer but the new cancer in his spinal fluid. Dr. Nichols will do another spinal tap this morning, take fluid for testing and inject more of the strong chemo drug. He will also do it again on Friday. The resulting tests will tell them if the drug is doing anything to stop the multiplication of the cancer cells. If it is, then they will look at implanting a port beneath the skull to enable them to inject the drug directly into the fluid surrounding his brain which in turn will be circulated down his low back to the rest of the cancer cells that have clustered there. If, by the end of the week there is no improvement, or increased activity then the goal will change completely to one of quality of life. Then it could be weeks or short months. Pray hard for the new drug to work. As I have always said, of course any decision on how to proceed will be Jack's and Jack's alone. I will give him your love and that will give him strength

Well, as I update this message, I finished reading my email. Here's a second email from my äunt"...and it released a bit of that suffocation, if even a deep concern remains pounding in the deepest rercesses of my brain (and heart). Cancer is not something tha't will just pack up and go away when it becomes a guest overstaying their welcome...no, no...not cancer...please keep my Uncle Jack in your prayers.

FINALLY some good news! I talked briefly with Dr. Nicols late this afternoon and he said that the sample of spinal fluid that he took out this morning showed zero cancer cells!!! Wonderful, wonderful! He's pleased with the length of time that the chemo drug he injects has stayed in the spinal fluid so will wait until Monday to do another tap. Jack was groggy most of the day as they'd given him quite a bit of pain medication during and after the procedure. He still had his radiation though, and then around 6:30 I roused him enough so that he could eat his dinner. He really perked up the rest of the evening, I think in part due to the encouraging results of the fluid test. I'll keep all of you informed as to how he's doing and when I get more information. Keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming!

How can the relief not overpower the reality of cancer? I think I'll head to the church and double up my prayers. Stay strong Uncle Jack! I love you!!!

No comments: