1.24.2007

Just A Few Ramblings

Today is swim day at Jari's school. I'm a mom helper and always enjoy these days as I feel a connection to kids which was my career goal in life. But, life doesn't always work out as we expect so I treasure these moments I have being a part of a classroom once again.

Saturday Erwin adn I had a work party to attend, but we also took the time to spend some time just the two of us going out to dinner. We do not have enough "us" moments, and it felt so good just sharing an evening with my husband. It seems that every time we do go out, we do so with a group of friends, or to a party, or with the family. I also enjoy those times very much, but I realized that we really need to make more time to savor each other.

I used my dishwasher for the first time last night! We got it free from a second-hand advertisement and weren't sure it would even work, but everythign came out sparkly clean! Yippee! Opa did a LOT of work installing the plumbing and electric so we could use it, and I appreciate him so much. Sometimes I feel like we take advantage of opa...he is so handy and can fix/make/create almost anything and in our old house, there is always something to be done. I hope he knows he is a true star in my book! It will be wonderful to have the dishwasher when I've got piles of washing up to do.

We are finally getting a taste of winter! I am really happy about this. It may sound crazy to some, but I like having seasons, and was excited when we finally got a real frost and there was a bit of ice in the fields. Now I can complain about the cold...hahaha I just hope we get one little snowfall..I want to make snow angels and snowmen and have a snowball fight and then come in and warm up with a hot chocolate with melty marshmallows!

Tomorrow we have our appointment with Kaeden's school to discuss another option for him. Something called semi-internaat which is basically after school activities and vacation care. I've been very interested in this since I first heard about it and we finally got government approved for it this year. There is a waiting list, but I'm hoping we come to the top before summer vacation and Kaeden can take part in all their fun activities. I really don't know what to expect, but at least we're finally getting a chance to see what exactly it is, what is offered (I think he also gets hot lunch at school), and what the costs are. We'll also ask a bit about internaat which is the live-in option at the school. They already informed me we need to talk to another department about that, but they'll give us as much info as they can.

I am getting so excited about my trip in March. My grandparents are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary and I get to be there! I wish my family could also go, but that wasn't a possibility so Erwin is taking off work and watching the kids while I gallavant across the ocean! There are so few people these days that make it to 60 years and I am so proud of my grandparents for getting through so much in their life together. They are an inspiration to me.

We are also researching possibilities for summer vacation. I mentioned Sweden to Erwin (I really want to go there one day, and meet my dad's family that is there as well) but he's leaning towards Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany...and I admit wholeheartedly that my favorite vacation place to date is Czech Republic....and I think teh most beautiful place I have ever been is Austria. I want my parents to join us there, but with their workloads in the summer that's nearly impossible. I think Erwin is a bit a creature of habit, where I am a bit more adventurous. We both love to travel and see new places though, and we do plenty of it. That's the place all our savings is depleted...but what is better than learning about new cultures, experiencing new lands,people, and languages, sharing happy family times, and then coming back home refreshed with a whole 'nother world that remains a piece of you forever. Can't wait for August!

I heard on the news the other night that Hilary Clinton may be in the running for the next US president. This didn't surprise me, but made me really think. I wonder if the world is ready for a woman president. Being a woman, I know this makes no sense. However, women are so much more emotionally involved than men...I don't know if this is a good thing or bad when it comes to running a country. Erwin said that there's no way she'll be voted in. But when I said "I bet there are a lot of women that would vote for her" he thought twice about it. Maybe what the world needs is a bit more emotional feeling and not so much "manly" war talk...what do you think?

I have started Kaeden's daily program at home again, and for now it is working...our mornings have been 80% easier. He needs lists to keep (get) himself organized, and so I write out his list with precision each day. When I gave him his first list, he told me I had to write out the numbers instead of making a simple 2, that he needed it to be posted (glued down) on the table and laminated (I assured him I was not ruining my table, but that we would find a place for his list), and then he began using it. I think it's so odd that if I tell him to brush his teeth and wash his face, it's too many commands at once, but if I give him a list with 10 (oops, ten) tasks on it he is able to handle it. But whatever, as long as he's successful I don't care what it takes.

Last night when I tucked Jari in bed he shared his views on autism. It was really very mind-boggling how profoundly he thinks for a child of 5. Kaeden was making a lot of noise in his room, singing along with his CD-player. Jari said "I can't sleep when Kaeden is making so much noise." I told him that wasn't very nice, but Kaeden has trouble listening sometimes. He said "Yeah, that's cuz he has autism." Then I asked him what autism means? Jari said "All I know is that autism makes Kaeden be very angry. That's why I don't like autism." So, we discussed autism a little bit more, why it wasn;t fun, things Kaeden does, why we should be happy we don't have it, etc. And then Jari says "Now I don't want to talk about it anymore cuz Kaeden is my grote broer (big brother) and he is lief (sweet)." And when I kissed Jari goodnight, I assured him that he is also very lief. But wow, wow, wow...my tiny little boy, you amaze mama!

So, it's time to head for the bus. Bubbye...


No comments: