5.03.2006

Acceptance

Here I am today looking back on my yesterday and realizing that I have a pretty darn good life. When I think about my family and the life we lead, it comes close to what I always dreamed that my life would look like. That is as close to perfection as you can get...reaching your dreams. I won't say that eevrything is perfect as we are all human and each of us has our own problems and those all come into play in the complete family picture...and yet, when I think of us as a family unit, I am, without doubt, proud. And happy.

I won't go into every minute detail of our day, but it was a typical day in getting everyone ready for school without the alarm going off...and having a first thing in the morning meeting with Kaeden's school. Clambering downstairs yelling out demands of get dressed, brush your teeth, where's your backpack, whatcha want for breakfast, while throwing together lunches and managing a 2 minute shower, we made it out the door on time. Erwin was there to support me during the meeting and having taken the day off we had time just for the two of us which is a rare treat and reminds me every time it happens just why I love this man so very much, why I chose him to be my partner in life, and why life feels so right when I am with him. Without the issue of the kids to judge, just the two of us together, we are a perfect couple. And that alone makes me feel on top of the world. I am lucky.

With the kids again home after school, we planted flowers and played in the yard, and then had the first BBQ of the season. There were no fights and no yelling, no negativity and no tears, just the four of us, doing what families every day across the world do...living life. We were all at peace, with our home and our family, where we fit in and what expectations we needed to meet, nothing special, just living life. No big trip to the playground or zoo, no judo or swimming to rush off to, no visitors to entertain, just the four of us on a relaxed and peaceful day at home. As I prepared the side dishes to go with the BBQed chicken, I was singing standing at the sink. Kaeden came in and I asked him to set the table...there was no whining, no reason why he couldn't...he simply took the plates and off he went. Jari came and said he wanted to help too...he took the glasses outside and placed them on the table Erwin had already washed. We were a true family, working together and helping each other and meeting the needs of all of us. We didn't need anything more than each other to come so close to perfection.

As I tucked the kids in last night and sang them their favorite lullabies, I was a mama filled with so much love. And a bit later, sitting out in the cooling night air with my husband, discussing our garden and a bit later retiring to the couch inside with a DVD, nothing could have made me feel better...nothing. This is my life, my reality, and it truly is a dream come true.