5.11.2006

Best Friends


Tonight has been one of cherished moments for me. Kaeden has given me so many reasons to understand what love is and how important mothering is. Tonight after he brushed his teeth and was getting ready for bed, I called him down to take his pill. As I'm getting his milk to take his pill, he says "I really shouldn't have milk, cuz I just brushed my teeth, huh mom?" I gave him the appropriate answer that no, really he shouldn't have anything after brushing his teeth cuz he'll get "Hamerbeestjes" but that a tiny bit to help him swallow his pill would be okay. He takes his pill and then says "You know who my best friend in the whole world is mom?" I look at him filled with hope and love and want him so badly to say me at that moment in time. He grants my wish as he pulls my face to his and whispers "You." With a tiny peck on the cheek he is gone as quick as a bunny. I feel a bit shaken with all this goodness surging through my veins as I go to tuck him in. We complete our nightly ritual searching the store ads for goodies for a party and then add up all the costs. It's his big pleasure in life, money and numbers and math, and this "game" we play brings him such satisfaction. After turning out the lights we snuggle close and I begin to sing...he stops me as he aks "Do you know who I love the most in the whole world?" I answer with certainty "me". He says "Well, who else do I love the very, very most?" I go through the list of our family members and he answers no each time. I wonder what his little mind is thinking as he states calmly and without pause "Jesus" and continues on to say "But then after Jesus I love you the very very best mama." It brought tears to my eyes. It gave me a security and presence of faith I have never known. My son is a wonderful child of God, and yet at the same time all mine. And he is just beautiful. As I begin to sing Jesus Loves Me, a few tears stream down my cheeks. I know that Jesus Loves Me and I know that because He has given me this child to love and learn from. Tonight has definitely been one of cherished moments. You, Kaeden Riley, are also my best friend & I love you more than all the stars in the sky.

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

I have tears running down my face. That's really just so beautiful.