5.29.2006

Germany

When you think of Germany what passes through your mind? Maybe you think of the black forest or World War 2, Hitler and nazi concentration camps. Maybe you think of The Rhine river or of cologne named after the city in which it was created. Maybe you think of potato salad or bratwurst. When I think of Germany, I think of the past two days with my husband, a getaway weekend basking in each other's company, tired legs and feet after long walks through the city, people watching and a beer on the terrace, the river Rhine a beautiful backdrop to the Cologne Cathedral, old town with tilted houses and a wine festival in Cologne, old town with tilted houses and a bike festival in Dusseldorf, wood burning bratwurst stands, a flea market flowing along the boardwalk on the Rhine. Germany, just an hour from my home, a perfect change of pace, change of culture, change of language...a new experience.

Germany is an interesting place to visit. Only an hour to the border, it gives me the feeling of being in another completely different land...I can't speak the language, I don't know the rules of etiquette, the food is similar in a different sort of way, the beer flowing before noon. I love, love, love going to places where everything turns you topsy turvey and you feel so foreign. It gives me a chance to look back on my life and see how far I have come. In six years time I am a new person. I can speak two languages, I know the importance of coffee tables and birthday circles, I realize that wearing my tennis shoes will make people look my way, as will bright colored clothes. Oops....time to get Jari, I'll finish this later....

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

With my parents here I also had the experience of seeing myself in a new light and realizing just how much I've grown. It was only their 2nd visit here, and everything is just so new and foreign to them. I must admit though, sometimes I wish that I could hear dutch the way they hear it, or experience eating 'poffertjes' at an outside stand in the same way that they experienced it, as something totally new and different. I might have to write about this in my own blog later :)