5.06.2006

Sleeping In



What is it about the concept of sleeping in that kids don't understand? It's Saturday morning and we have no plans that need to be immediately executed bright and early this morning. I was in a deep sleep (finally, after a terrible night) when Jari, who always wakes up with us in the morning, meaning he comes in usually between 12 and 2 every night, starts jabbing me in the shoulder. "Mama, het is lacht." (It's light outside) Yeah, but we can go back to sleep for a little bit. COme snuggle with mama for 10 mins. He comes and restlessly wiggles around for about 2 minutes. "Maar ik moet poepen." (But I have to go poop). Aw, gee, then go. I'll come when you are done. He heads downstairs and once again I have enough peace to fall back asleep when I hear from the bathroom, which is downstairs, "Mama, ik ben KLaaaaaAAAAr." (Mom, I'm done) I pull myself up, put on some sweats and manage to make my way down to wipe his little butt. Might as well pee while I'm here, I guess morning is here. As I walk into the kitchen, Kaeden comes at me with "Sorry mom." Sorry? What for? "I stole two puddings and put a WHOLE bunch of whipped cream on it." Kaeden, we don't steal. You need to come ask. And that's not what we have for breakfast...but you already know that. So, go clean up the mess (yes, this in the livingroom in front of cartoons...who knowswhat time he was up...always early on weekends and gotta pry him out of bed to be on time for teh bus during the week). and then 15 minutes in your room. He does what I say without one single shout or cuss word or anything...wow...maybe it is a good day after all?! As I am debating going back to snuggle with my husband for another 30 minutes Jari starts singing "Eeenie meenie mutton, twee pond grutton (or whatever that song says, I never did figure it out yet even tho I hear it 50 times/day), twee pond kaas, eenie meenie mutton is de baas....and here he doesn't stop, oh no....maar de baas die is niet thuis, hij ligt in het ziekenhuis." And know what? It doesn't matter which cerreal his finger is pointed on, he still chooses which he wants which defeats the entire purpose of the song/game. But who cares. Anyway, it's "lacht" and I'm wide awake. There will be no more little Zzzzzz's coming my way this morning. Maybe on Mother's Day...oops, Erwin is off on a hike with his friends that weekend...not even on Mother's Day. But sleeping in is not a little kid concept!!! Therefore, also not a mama one! Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

Just wait, when they are teenagers you won't be able to get them out of bed. Of course, by then you'll be SOOOO adjusted to the early mornings that you won't be able to STAY there. Isn't that how it works???