5.24.2006

Sneak Peek


Erwin and I started our life together not as a couple, but as a family. We never had the opportunity to be just the two of us. Because of that, we treasure all the time we have with just us. We love those moments when oma and opa or gramma and grampa offer to take the boys overnight and we can relax in each other's company. As much as we love our boys and enjoy our time with them as a family, those special moments together really recharge our batteries, give us a chance to remember what it was that drew us together in the first place, share time doing what we love to do together when we don't have to account for children who will be bored, or make sure there are children's activities available, or bring a backpack filled with toy cars and coloring books and extra drinks and snacks. It is so peaceful when it's just him and I. Sometimes we get those moments when we hire in our babysitter, just a few hours away to break the rhythm of daily life. This week, our babysitter came and Erwin and I had absolutely no plan! It was actually kinda funny as Erwin and the sitter arrived home simultaneously. Erwin says "So, what's the plan?" I had none. So, we let the sitter take the boys off to Judo and the playground while we hounded the internet for something to do. We started life together with the help of the internet and it serves in our daily life for everything. We couldn't live without it...nor would we want to. Anyway, we checked out the movies that were playing. Noticing there was a Sneak Preview, I asked if Er had ever attended one. He hadn't and neither had I so we decided to head to Weert for dinner and a movie. An evening with mystery, not knowing what what on our agenda, just as we didn't at the moment the sitter arrived. An eveing with that excitement of what is to come. As we headed to eat with not quite enough time, we realized the restaurant I sometimes get away to with my friend Lisa was closed...darn, they have really wonderfully taste-tempting food. But okay, plenty of other cafes to choose from. As we walked along looking at the menu boards, we realized that McDonals'd would have to be our choice! We just couldn't let an evening go without including the kids somehow...hahaha. We went on in and ordered...no kids meals as is our usual, and we had the entire restaurant virtually to ourselves...we had an hour til the film began and we ate and talked and read the paper and it was really very nice. As the time pushed on, I was getting more and more excited. A sneak peek...something I know lots about as I try to uncover what my gifts are before the holiday. This makes Erwin so annoyed. He now makes sure I don't touch the packages by placing a little object to let him know if I have touched, like a screw set in a certain position, or a piece of paper laid on top of the box that I didn't notice, but he notices is missing...that sort of thing. I just love the excitement of those little sneak peeks...what will it be? Is it something fun or useful or beautiful? I was having those same thoughts waiting for the movie to begin. Was it a drama or a comedy, action or horror? Would it be something both Erwin and I would enjoy? As the lights dimmed I grabbed Erwin's hand and giggled...exciting? I asked him and though he wasn't quite so over the moon as I, he too was awaiting that moment when we would know. Just as the movie started, I turned to him and jokingly said "Üh Oh, it's a ladie's movie." Unfortunately, I was kinda right! But it was also a bit fun, a different sort of film, a British movie. It was a bit slow in some parts but it was okay. We both laughed a few times and both felt sorry for one character. We both decided it wasn't a film we would have normally paid to see, but it was not bad for not knowing. It was like a gift you finally open after waiting and waiting, and it's not exactly what you had hoped for, but think, hey, this is kinda interesting...and it sorta grows on you after time. The title of the film was never revealed. After we returned home, paid the sitter, and were told our boys were little angels, Erwin immediately booted up the computer (I told you it's a member of our family!), clicked on Internet Explorer, and looked up Luce and Rachel. There it was, staring us in the face, our special surprise... Imagine Me and You....

Imagine Me and You and you and me...as we watched the trailer the meaning was a bit deeper. I don't have to imagine it anymore. I have my husband, by my side, day in, day out. I enjoy being with him, sharing time with him, getting through the ups and downs life throws our way. I don't have to imagine it, but I can live it. Those butterflies that overtake your system at the beginning of a relationship turn into the deep love for your partner as time wears on. Like Rachel and Luce with obstacles to overcome to be allowed to love, so had Erwin and I. ...the only one for me is you and you for me, so happy together....For all my life.

No comments: