5.08.2006

Lost

Back in the day, aka my life in America, I was quite a good traveler. I could find my way around easily and had a great sense of direction. Even if I managed to get myself lost, it was short-lived before I was enroute and on-route once again. I didn't have a map in the car, nor were there maps of the towns posted at each new town you came upon. And travel is a passion of mine and I did it frequently, loading the car up with snacks and drinks and just taking off for the day...wherever it would lead me. And I always felt secure that I would come home again safe and sound...

Now jump forward to Europe...my today. I have NO sense of direction. I can be lost within minutes whether I am in the car or walking. I have no real judgement when other towns or cities are listed because I don't know if they are North, East, South, or West. I don't know which highways connect and where they lead. And because there are so many little villages between the bigger cities, I can easily visit 20 towns to make it to my larger destination. I get lost unbelievably easily. This is something that really irks me as I feel less secure about my travels and taking off for a little trip means making sure the maps are available in the car and having my cell phone charged and handy. I have become an expert map reader...hahaha...don't tell my husband I said that, he may tend to disagree...

Yesterday, we were going out to dinner with friends in a town about 45 minutes from here. We go there on occasion but it's not a normal town we visit. Anyway, Erwin knew where we needed to be and off we went...and then we got stopped. Roadblocks the entire city through due to soem Spring festival they were having. We drove all around the city and finally parked a bit outside planning to walk to the restaurant. Off we all headed...and I was planning to go the exact opposite route my husband took. He is an excellent map reader and does pretty okay in the European Sense of Direction quiz that I always manage to fail. Anyway, beacuse the city was all blocked off, we did get lost. We were in the middle and every 20 meters stopped to look at the city map. Well, we finally walked in the wrong direction and asked a lady on the street where we needed to be. We finally found our way. But it was a bit irritating how senseless I am when it comes to finding places. In Europe towns are not built on a grid system, but go around and twist and turn and many are built aroiund water canals. I am always lost.

If you manage to make a European vacation, DO NOT ask me which way to go. You will surely end up on a trip to the Land of Lost in a country where English is not the first (nor second) language. And that can make for some very discomforting moments....yet, lots of exciting adventures. Who needs a rollercoater ride when you've got Europe at your doorstep?!

1 comment:

MsYennis said...

I am EXACTLY the same. Erik always laughs and says I remind him of his mama because she always went the wrong way. If we are on roadtrips in america I'm always the BEST navigator. HERE I'm just glad we have GPS!